Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The thumbs go in a new direction...

Roger Ebert has posted a statement on rogerebert.com about Disney's decision to take his show in a new direction. I remember fondly watching "Siskel & Ebert" on PBS what seemed late in the night when I was younger in the 70s and 80s. Back in the day, that was about all we had to catch a glimpse of upcoming flicks, that and Starlog.

Here's Roger's statement: "After 33 years on the air, 23 of them with Disney, the studio has decided to take the program named "Siskel & Ebert" and then "Ebert & Roeper" in a new direction. I will no longer be associated with it.

The show was a wonderful experience. It was a great loss to me when surgery in July 2006 made it impossible for me to appear on the air any longer. Although I remained active behind the scenes, I feel that Richard Roeper and several co-hosts, notably Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott, have excelled at carrying on the tradition Gene Siskel and I began in 1975 with "Sneak Previews" on PBS.

Gene and I felt the formula was simplicity itself: Two film critics, sitting across the aisle from each other in a movie balcony, debating the new films of the week. We developed an entirely new concept for TV. Few shows have been on the air so long and remained so popular. We made television history, and established the trademarked catch-phrase "Two thumbs up."

The trademark still belongs to me and Marlene Iglitzen, Gene's widow, and the thumbs will return. We are discussing possibilities, and plan to continue the show's tradition. -- Roger Ebert"

-Josh

1 comment:

Ben Grimwood said...

Wow... what is "Siskel & Ebert" or "Ebert & Roeper" without Ebert? What a shame...